- GCSE English – Grade 5
- GCSE Mathematics – Grade 7 (ideally Grade 8)
The course content of A Level Further Mathematics maths is fixed with Core Pure Mathematics and further Pure. Students will also study further mechanics or decision Mathematics.
- Core Pure Mathematics will include topics such as proof, complex numbers, matrices, algebra and functions, calculus, vectors, polar coordinates, hyperbolic functions and differential equations
- Further Pure will include topics such as trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, coordinate systems, vectors, numerical methods and inequalities
- Further Mechanics will include topics such as momentum and impulse and elastic collisions in one/two dimension. Further Decision will include topics such as algorithms on graphs and critical path analysis
A Level Further Mathematics with Pearson Edexcel is a 2 year course. Students will sit external examinations at the end of the second year.
- - Paper 1: Core Pure Mathematics 1
- - Paper 2: Core Pure Mathematics 2
- - Paper 3: Further Pure Mathematics 1
- - Paper 4: Further Mechanics 1 or Decision 1
Each paper is a 1 hour and 30-minute written examination. They are worth 25% of the qualification each, with each paper out of 75 marks.
QE6 Extras / Co-Curriculum Opportunities
In Mathematics at QE6 we offer a range of co-curricular opportunities including: guest lectures from universities; Maths related trips; access to further reading lists; senior Maths challenge and many more.
An A Level in Further Mathematics provides the opportunity to add breadth and depth to topics covered in A Level Mathematics. The introduction of new topics helps form an important part of maths-rich degrees in areas such as Sciences, Statistics, Computing, Engineering as well as going on to study a degree in Mathematics. An A Level in Further Mathematics can also open the doorway to many exciting job opportunities in Mathematics such as studying for a Masters or a PHD. If your future plans are to go and study Further Mathematics beyond sixth form, then studying A Level Further Mathematics will give you the opportunities to do so.