Travel and Tourism Extended Certificate (L3)
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate
Standard BTEC entry requirement.
This course is perfect if you love travel and want to have a career in helping people to make the most of their holidays. The travel and tourism industry is an ever growing industry providing at least 4 million jobs within the UK in 2021, in a variety of areas including tour operations, airlines, visitor attractions and travel agents as well as strategic authorities dealing with travel to the UK. In this exciting course, it enables you to develop transferable skills such as teamwork and communication. As it is one of the world's largest industries there are numerous opportunities for overseas employment.
Some of the content you will study with this course are:
- The world of travel and tourism (scale of industry, trends and the impact of the industry)
- Global Destinations (travel planning - what makes destinations appealing to travellers?)
- Principles of marketing in Travel and Tourism (from marketing to meeting the needs of customers and on to how to run a successful business in this industry.)
- Visitor attractions
- Events, conferences and exhibitions
Two external examinations - overall making up 58% of total qualification grade.
- One written examination. 1hr 30 mins. 75 marks
- One set task supervised by the exam board - undertaken for 3 hours. 60 marks
Internal assessments will also take place throughout the course through assignments. These assignments can either be written or practical.
QE6 Extras / Co-Curriculum Opportunities
Helping to plan trips for school for example - Geography A level and KS4.
Career expertise/experience - links with airport and airlines at London Luton Airport.
Successful students can progress on to career paths including travel agents, tour operators, hotel receptionists or airline customer services.
Travel and Tourism can lead to a wide range of other careers in the areas of event & hospitality management, wedding planning, travel agencies, public relations, travel journalism and tourism marketing. Students may also attend University.
- International Tourism Management
- Events Management
- Business Management
- Tourism Management
- Sport/Outdoor Activities
- Air Transport Pilots Licence